A Public Library
Deerfield’s Legacy of Literacy
Since the early days of Deerfield, the town has supported a public library. After the Deerfield Woman’s Club was formed in 1918, one of their first community projects was to create a library that would be open to residents and visitors alike.
In 1925, the public library was moved into the home of Mrs. Lee Craig, located on Hillsboro Blvd. across from the home of Mr. and Mrs J.D. Butler. Books were donated by people in the community. The Library was next moved to the new Deerfield Elementary School building.
In the new school there was space for a library and there was money available to buy some more books and the public also donated books. The library remained there from 1927 until 1948.
Once again the Women’s Club stepped in to help the Library of Deerfield. The Club had been the recipient of one of the officers housing buildings from the Military Air Base in Boca Raton. It was located at the corner (N.E) of US 1 and Hillsboro Blvd. Once again the ladies stepped in to help and planned reading programs and contribute Books and supplies to help the Library in the new location.