Deerfield’s First Bridge
Easy Access to the Beach
Before 1917, the only way to cross over the Hillsboro River/Intracoastal Waterway to the beach was by boat or to swim.
Deerfield’s original bridge was a revolving structure with a wooden floor that was opened by a hand crank. The bridge could turn parallel to the shore allowing boats to pass. Once across the bridge, the road turned northeast and ended where the Deerfield Beach International Fishing Pier is today.
The job of bridge tender has always been important. The first bridge tender was a man named Payette. He was followed by the Roosevelt family and then the Jones family. Over the years, many kids that grew up in the area would help turn the key type pipe that fit in a hole in the middle of the bridge… what a thrill.