Deerfield’s First Church
First Zion Baptist
In 1902 two Methodist leaders, Reverend Lawrence and Mrs. Knight, brought together members of Deerfield’s black community to worship. There were less that 40 blacks living here at the time and even fewer whites. They began to hold services in a hut build of palmettos located near where the Braithewaite School eventually came to be located.
There were only about six Methodist and six Baptist so they decided to join forces and form a group to worship and share the love of the Gospel. In 1905 the first wooden structure was built. It was approximately 12’ x 24’
Over the years there have been many Pastors that have lead the congregation. There have been many additions and improvements Each addition was celebrated as each year it grew until in 2014 the Church celebrated 112 years of worshipping in Deerfield Beach.