The Butler House
Deerfield Beach’s Historic Home
Deerfield Beach pioneers and civic leaders, James D. and Alice Butler built their new home from plans obtained from The Ladies Home Journal of September 1923. This Mediterranean Revival style building cost $10,000.00 to build and it is situated on almost four city lots. The house is built of hollow tile, the interior walls are plaster on lath and the roof is made from Spanish terra cotta tiles.
The house and grounds were bequeathed to the Deerfield Beach Historical Society in 1977. It is now the group’s headquarters and is operated as a museum. It contains many of the original furnishings with the exception of the dining room table that was replaced after the first one was used to board up the west dining room window during the 1928 hurricane. Furnishings include the wicker furniture purchased by the Butlers in 1923 for $500.